1. In NovaMind 4, the connections are always to the sides of the branches. In NovaMind 5 we will have a proper top down (or bottom up) org chart style layout that can be set on a topic by topic basis.
2. Those are the pre-defined ones we have available. I would suggest you create your own templates if you want to reuse other layouts, or use the styles if that's sufficient for your needs. This is completely rebuilt in NovaMind 5, and is a much better solution all round.
3. You can either use attached images if you want to place them beside (or in front of or behind) the topic, or you can drag the image directly on to the topic, and then set whether it fits, fills, or stretches to fill the space, and whether it is above or below the text. This is another area which has been completely redesigned in NovaMind 5, with a huge amount more flexibility.
4. Every topic needs to be attached in NovaMind 4 - you can easily graft it to another position later. In NovaMind 5, we have floating topics.
5. Yes, use an attached text. In NovaMind 5, all the attached shapes will be able to have text in them.
Hope this helps.